Line-wrap weirdness

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Nov 8 07:41:43 PST 2011

On 08/11/2011 8:20 AM, Steve Rickaby wrote:
> I have no explanation for what I've just experienced in
> (unstructured) FrameMaker (v 7, yes I know it's old).
>
> Figure titles are autonumbered paras, left aligned, set in text
> frames within anchored frames that contain the figure also. Nothing
> weird there.
>
> Every figure title in the book behaved as expected except one. This
> insisted on wrapping after the first word, even though there was room
> for the whole line in the text box. ...
>
> In desperation I copied the whole text frame that contained the
> aberrant figure title, pasted it to a new FrameMaker document, then
> copied and pasted it back.
>
> End of problem.
>
> I have no idea what was going on here, but I offer this as a
> last-resort 'fix' for line-wrap weirdnesses. Maybe someone else can
> explain it. I don't like it when the sort of thing that you have to
> do in Word crops up in FrameMaker.

The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps the figure did not
have Runaround properties set to None, and the text box was positioned
just close enough that Runaround was being invoked. When you pasted it
back in, its position may have been just far enough to avoid the effect.

I suppose you could test this by checking the figure's Runaround
properties, and/or slightly shifting the text frame position.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator