FrameMaker10 Graphics Problems and Strange Object Grouping Behavior

todd.bersley at teradyne.com todd.bersley at teradyne.com
Wed Nov 9 15:22:09 PST 2011

Hello,

Our technical publications team recently upgraded from Frame 7 to Frame 10
(Version 10.0.1.408) included with  the Technical Communication Suite on
Windows 7. Unfortunately, we are seeing a lot of crashes when we work on
graphics using Frame's drawing tools or when importing snapshots. We've
tried MIF washing all of our files, but we are still seeing frequent
crashes when working with graphics.

One specific problem that we are seeing is that Frame is having a hard time
grouping all objects in our often complex block diagrams. I have tried
selecting all of the boxes, lines, and text lines in a figure in order to
group them all, only to have one or more elements, which I thought I had
selected, remain ungrouped.

Does anyone have any guidelines on grouping to prevent this type of
problem? Or is this just a Frame bug that we have to live with until Adobe
comes out with a patch?

Also, does anyone know if Adobe is working on improving how Frame handles
graphics so that it doesn't crash so frequently?

I assume that Frame 10 is sending error reports to Adobe when these crashes
occur, but I can't seem to locate any information on this problem on
Adobe's support site. We're seriously considering going to an outside
drawing tool like Visio because Frame no longer seems like it can handle
complex block diagrams. And in the past we really like the Frame drawing
tools because they were easy to use, helped keep our file sizes smaller
since we weren't importing a lot of graphics, and looked sharper in our
online production than imported gifs or jpgs.

Any suggestions on managing graphics or using the drawing tools in Frame10
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Todd Bersley
Technical Writer