Please give some recommendations for tools

Sudakshina Piercy Sudakshina.Piercy at jdsu.com
Tue Nov 15 11:03:40 PST 2011

Hello all.  I have a similar situation as Rene Stephenson in the last set of messages.

My R&D team requires XML output for dynamic help and normal online help.  Our product is mature and the dynamic help is a selling feature.  Our engineers would like to be able to edit the dynamic help files.

R&D and the previous writer both used Altova XML Spy to edit and create the dynamic help and online help.  We are looking at transitioning to Robohelp 9 to create and maintain the help so that we can have a more writer-friendly tool as well as meet our product needs.

Does anyone know if:

1.       Robohelp 9 creates mappings?  I can get help with mappings if needed from R&D to create XSLT mappings from database, word, excel, xml to virtually any format.  Does XML generated from RoboHelp 9 need mappings, so that all R&D would need to do is run a script to create the help?

2.       Can Dynamic help files created in XML Spy be incorporated into RoboHelp 9 and generated in the same output files?  Alternatively, I can ask R&D to write dynamic help in Word and I will put them in RoboHelp 9.

3.       I am planning on creating a test environment for the help with a few sample files in RoboHelp 9 and see if the output will work with our product.  Has anyone had any issues with generated XML from Robohelp 9 when hooking it into a .NET application?

Thank you!

Su Piercy
Lead Technical Writer, Drive Test
JDSU