Training for FrameMaker 10 and S1000D

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Tue Nov 22 16:29:27 PST 2011

We've looked at providing S1000D training and support, but haven't been
clear on the business case for entering this market. The blocking
factors for small training companies appear to be (from my perspective):

- Organizations that deploy S1000D are usually very large. They have
their own particular purchasing infrastructure, with their own (also
typically large) preferred vendors.
- The Defense community (where S1000D prevails) is close-nit. Again, the
players prefer their own set of vendors, and its relatively difficult to
enter this community of players from the outside (without having prior
experience and connections in Defense).
- Working with the Defense community presents formidable and costly
roadblocks (like required security clearances).

If my experience does not ring true with others (practitioners or
vendors) I'd love to hear from you.

Mekon in the UK has extensive experience with S1000D and FrameMaker. I'm
not aware of this combination of experience in North America. You might
look for S1000D training from one of the North America-based companies
in this space (Inmedius, O'Neill and Associates, Hebco come to mind in
the U.S.), and hire a trainer/consultant to customize the FrameMaker 10
S1000D support to meet your particular workflow and business requirements.

-Alan
---
Fellow, Society for Technical Communication <http://www.stc.org>Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
Vice President, Society for Technical Communication
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532 (Google Voice)