Scary responsibility in job ad

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:15:02 PDT 2011

Don't you see that this is a mirror argument? Let me rephrase what
you're saying:

> What I object to is putting the burden and responsibility on the engineer, rather than where it belongs...on the writer. I've worked with very few writers who wanted to improve their involvement in product development or who even cared. Most writers I've worked with just want to do what they are told to do; they don't want to get into the nuts and bolts. IMHO, this requirement is setting we engineers up for failure. Just because the company wants the us to communicate more effectively, it doesn't mean that the writers want to, are motivated to, or would willingly cooperate with such "coaching". <

Don't look at it as a burden, but an opportunity to collaborate.  Yes,
engineers work very differently from writers, but a writer's honed
skills at audience analysis can certainly be reverse-engineered to
look at author-analysis, see what their workflow and workloads are
like, and work WITH them to develop means for improvement.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com