Scary responsibility in job ad

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 7 04:20:44 PDT 2011

What I object to is putting the burden and responsibility on the tech writer, rather than where it belongs...on the engineer. I've worked with very few engineers who wanted to improve their communication skills or who even cared. Richard, in your case, you were asked by people who were motivated to learn, and that's great; however, your experiences do not reflect mine. Most engineers I've worked with just want to do what they are told to do; they don't want to discuss it or describe it.

IMHO, this requirement is setting the tech writer up for failure. Just because the company wants the engineers to communicate more effectively, it doesn't mean that the engineers want to, are motivated to, or would willingly cooperate with such "coaching".

Nadine