Links to a specific page in a manual

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Fri Oct 21 02:16:02 PDT 2011

Rebecca,

You wrote:

>I learned this so long ago I can't remember; is there a way to write a
>hypertext marker so that you open a pdf manual on a certain page?

If the target PDF resides in a web site or accessed through a web link
(i.e. the file will open in the default web browser rather than in
Acrobat/Reader):
add "#Page=nn" to the link.
For example:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/NavigationAsst/Presence.pdf#page=7

To open a stand-alone PDF in Acrobat/Reader at the default opening page,
use the following hypertext marker:
message openfile file.pdf

If your target PDF is authored by you in FrameMaker, you can use
cross-references or gotolink/newlink hypertext markers to define links to
specific locations.

If the PDF is authored by someone else using FrameMaker, you can use the
gotopage hypertext marker.
For example: gotopage Foundation.pdf:3
This won't work with PDFs not authored with FrameMaker (since the gotopage
marker actually links to specific page-related named destinations which
FrameMaker places in the PDF).

Additional link/bookmark options, which work with PDFs independently of the
authoring application, are available with the FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers add-on through the  ~PageLink custom markers (optionally opening
the target in a separate window) -- see example at
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF17.html

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Free 1-hour webinars, starting 10am PT:
-- Liven up your PDFs with TimeSavers/Assistants, Tuesday, October 25,
https://student.gototraining.com/34gl0/register/2519604899837708032
-- Better PDFs with TimeSavers, Thursday, October 27,
https://student.gototraining.com/34gl0/register/8555732421304807936