installing PDF printer driver

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Sun Oct 23 10:09:42 PDT 2011

Framers, I can't find an answer in the archives so hope you can help.
Via my TechCommSuite 2 license, I've never had a problem installing
Acrobat Pro any version on any computer before, and the PDF printer
driver always shows up in the list of available printers. This hasn't
happened on my new laptop (running Win7), perhaps because I don't
have a printer directly connected to it (don't know why that would
matter, though). Although Acrobat 9 Pro Extended installed correctly
on the laptop, the PDF printer driver isn't in the list of printers.
Therefore, I cannot print to the PDF driver and generate a PDF via Distiller.

I think I need to manually install the appropriate PPD file, but I
appear to be having a senior moment. I don't know which PPD file to
install or how to go about doing it. (Did it used to be this complex
in earlier Windows versions?) I thought I could look on my desktop
computer to see what PPD is in use there, but there are a zillion PPD
files there and I can't really determine which one I should be
working with. The Win7 Control Panel doesn't show me which driver is
in use either. I'm probably making this much harder than it needs to
be, and forgive me in advance if I'm not using the correct
terminology. Can anyone help?

Carol

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable