Printing rich media pdfs from FrameMaker 10

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Sep 1 06:52:32 PDT 2011

Kate,

You wrote:

>Hello, I am trying to print a rich media pdf from FrameMaker 10. I can
>import the video file into FM and it will play but when I print to
>pdf, the video comes out as a picture and playback is not possible. I
>have tried this with lots of different file types - a .wmv, .mp4, .mov
>and .mp2 files all of which are supported by FM 10 but none of which
>work.
>
>Is there a setting that I have missed? Should I be saving the file to
>pdf instead of printing? Any help would be much appreciated!

"Save as PDF" from within FrameMaker is required to support interactive
media in PDFs (including U3D).

Also, make sure that "Embed Multimedia objects in PDF" is turned on (under
File > Preferences > General).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants