Printing rich media pdfs from FrameMaker 10

Vikrant Rai tnarkiv at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 00:02:49 PDT 2011

Hi Kate,

This question seems to come up quite often, and the answer is always the same. It can get a little confusing at times, especially when deadlines are looming large, and all you want is a PDF.
Let my try and explain why you need to "Save as PDF" rather than Print.

The "Print to PDF" route is used to create a Print ready PDF that can be sent for physical printing. It replaces your physical printer with the Adobe PDF Printer or Distiller. A PDF thus created is closest representation of what the document will look like when it is printed on paper.
If someone prints a document on paper, they don't expect a video to play when you pick up the paper. Not yet, anyway. Same thing with Print to PDF.

The "Save to PDF" however creates an interactive PDF that is not explicitly meant for printing, but for viewing on electronic devices. Audio, Video, 3D models etc are included.

Thanks,
Vikrant