Print Pop-Up for Graphics in PDF

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Sep 1 08:05:49 PDT 2011

Susan,

You wrote:

>I am creating manuals in Framemaker and distributing them as pdfs.
>These manuals contain hundreds of small graphics.  I would like my
>users to be able to mouse over a graphic in the pdf and get a "print"
>popup which would allow them to print just that graphic.  Ideally, I'd
>like to be able to specify this parameter in the FM file before
>distilling it, perhaps by stating that "all graphics linked to XYZ
>folder get a print popup."
>
>Do any of you have any suggestions about how I could do this, or where
>I should begin my research for figuring this out?

Two suggestions (unfortunately not as simple as making a "get a print
popup" statement...):

* If you integrate the graphic as "live" SWF, the graphic can include a
Print button (visible or hidden)
Example:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/MultimediaAsst/EmbeddedSWF-PrintOnDemand.pdf
[requires Acrobat/Reader 9 or later]
In this example, the SWF is displayed as a pop-up window, but the same
concept can apply to an in-document image.

* If the PDF is viewed through a web browser: in addition to including the
graphics in your document, you can create a link to a separate copy of the
graphics (in a browser-compatible format: PNG/GIF/JPG) using a hypertext
marker: message URL file.ext
Example: http://www.microtype.com/showcase/GIFScreenCapture.pdf

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants