Adding a PDF form to a FrameMaker manual

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Sep 10 22:36:03 PDT 2011

Michael,

You wrote:

>I m trying to add a Feedback form to our FrameMaker manuals. These manuals
>are published as PDF files. We are using FrameMaker 7.2 and Acrobat 8.0.
>
>I have a PDF form designed and can attach it to a PDF manual. I can also
>set up a bookmark which will display the form as an attachment, but I
>would prefer to pull it into the FrameMaker book and have it built in
>every time I print the book. I ve tried inserting the PDF form into the
>book file several ways, such as an inset in an FM file or on a master
>page, but nothing seems to give me a form with working fields in the
>resulting PDF.
>
>Preferably, I would like to end up with a PDF manual that has a bookmark
>named Send us your comments . ! ; If you click on that bookmark, you go
>directly to the PDF form which you can then fill in and email to a
>pre-selected email address. Since the content of the form itself will not
>change and since we have a large number of manuals, I would like to make
>this as automatic as possible.
>
>Is there any way to do this?

When importing a PDF into a FM file, all interactive/non-printing features
are ignored.

Defining form fields in the FM file and custom bookmarks is possible with
the FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on together with the Form
Assistant extension. All features defined are then present in the PDF,
without post-creation steps.
[ see http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF22.html and
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF25.html for additional information and
sample PDFs ]

Another approach is to define a custom bookmark that opens a feedback
e-mail message (not a visible part of the PDF). The message can be
pre-populated, even include the specific title of PDF being read and the
current page number.
[ see http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF03.html for more information /
example ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants