Pagination issues in a book

Jim Duszynski JimDuszynski at SkylineProducts.com
Mon Sep 12 12:43:31 PDT 2011

Hello Framers,

I need your help overcoming a pagination problem I cannot comprehend that has me yelling out "WHY-WHY-WHY?!" like Captain Binghamton from McHale's Navy fame.

XP sp3 with all updates
FM 7.1 p114

I have a book with the following file layout:
cover page (single sided-SS)
copyright page (SS)
TOC (DS)
Volume Page-one page (SS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Volume Page-one page (SS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
Chapter with title page as first page then left/right following (DS)
etc., etc....
back page (SS)

In the book, I have all DS files as 1st page "read from file", while all the single pages are singled sided. In the file I have all DS files as 1st page "right".

To begin with, I want to see how the book looks for binding without adding any blank pages (page count is king on this one) but in some chapters I went certain pages to be on facing pages, but they are deeper in the book. I figure that if I can manage the previous files up to that point, I can adjust the pagination in those files.

While attempting to do this, for some reason beyond me, my TOC always changes to "make page count even" even after I delete the cover and copyright ahead of it and make it the lead file. What is going on? And then in later files I get some with page count even or odd. There seems to be some kind of automatic FM pagination going on that I do not know.

I'd GREATLY appreciate some assistance understanding FM pagination philosophy and any other suggestions that might save me from creating my own pagination pit of despair!

Thanks in advance.

Jim Duszynski
Skyline Products, Inc
Technical Writer