font errors/problems

Thu Sep 15 12:41:07 PDT 2011

jburgdor wrote:

> . Here's the info in maker.ini:
> DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics=On
>
> ;
> ; Sizes which will appear in the Format dialog boxes:
> ;
> Sizes=7pt, 8pt, 9pt, 10pt, 11pt, 12pt, 14pt, 18pt, 24pt, 36pt
>
> ;
> ; Definition of the font vocabulary:
> ;   Angles, Variations: a list of the words.
> ;   Weight: the list of words and the associated weight for Windows, if
> any.
> ;
> Angles=Regular, Kursiv, Slanted, Oblique, Italic, Obliqued
>
> Variations=UltraCompressed, ExtraCompressed, Compressed, Condensed,
> Narrow, Regular, Wide, Poster, Expanded
>
> Weights=Thin 100, ExtraLight 200, SemiLight 250, Light 300, Book 300,
> Regular 400, SemiBold 600, DemiBold 600, Bold 700, ExtraBold 800, Heavy
> 900, Bolded 700

That all looks good. And yet, the error messages are telling you those entries don't exist. So, trouble-shooting step 1: Are you sure you're looking at the right maker.ini file -- the one at the location specified in the error messages (the FM9 home directory)? Search your C drive for files named maker.ini. It should find two -- the one in the FM9 home directory and your personal version (somewhere in your user directory tree; don't recall exactly where, and it varies with Windows version). (FM reads them both. Your personal one generally contains only settings specific to you, like window locations, recent file list, etc.)

I don't know how it could happen, but perhaps you're looking at a third maker.ini file somewhere that has the correct entries, but FM is looking at a different maker.ini that doesn't.

Trouble-shooting step 2 -- you said:

> > I'm getting a series of perplexing messages running a build script on
> > large book, outputting PDF. Just after the PDF is saved, FM displays
> > dialogs about Entry Sizes, Angles, Variations, and Weights not found
> in
> > the maker.ini file, and do I want to save those values to the INI
> file.
> > I answer no to each and then see an Internal Error dialog, and FM
> > crashes.

What happens if you answer Yes to each of those dialogs?

Trouble-shooting step 3: ... umm ... I can't think of a step 3 right now. :-}

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom