Combined Title Page and TOC File

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 06:10:42 PDT 2011

Allison Craig wrote:

> I have created a Book with files using only double-sided pages (as I do with all my Books).
>
> In this case, the book consists of:
>
> Title page (starts on right, 2 pages only, second page blank)
> TOC (starts on right, even number of pages, numbered i, ii, iii, etc)
> Chapter 1 (starts on right, even number of pages, starts numbering at page 1)
> Chapter 2: (starts on right, even number of pages, numbering continues form Chapter 1)
> Appendix A: (starts on right, even number of pages, numbering continues form Chapter 2)
>

> My problem is that this series of booklets will only ever have less than one page of TOC - which I would like to create as page 2 of the Title page file.
>
> To make this happen, I have set up the Master Page of the TOC so that the Header and Footer of "page i" look like a left page, rather the right page it actually is. Once I have printed the book and distilled to PDF, I delete pages 4 and 2 so the TOC appears on the back side of the Title Page, even though it started out as a right page.
>
> Is this my only choice or is there a way to combine the Title Page and TOC in one file to get what I want?

Try this:

Title page -- Double-sided; Start on Right; Delete empty pages; Page numbering starts at i
TOC -- Double-sided; Start on *Next available*; Make page count even; Page numbering continues from previous
Chapter 1 -- Double-sided; Start on Right; Make page count even; Page numbering starts at 1

Note that the "Start on next available" option is only available when setting the pagination properties from the book window, because that option has no meaning for a single, isolated file.

The only thing that *might* be a gotcha is the page count setting for the TOC. It *might* be necessary to set that file to "delete empty" rather than "make even". For the last 5 years, I've been using corporate templates that are single-sided only, but my recollection from my last job is that the setup I detailed is the one that works.

Fred Ridder