Can't embed an Excel object (FM10)

Mark Lehmann topmark at netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 28 19:18:54 PDT 2011

FrameMaker 10, Acrobat X Pro, Windows 7 (latest updates applied to all)

When I embed an Excel (or a PDF) file in FM10 then Print to PDF or Save
As PDF, all I get are lifeless icons in the resulting PDF -- ie, no
amount of clicking or double-clicking the icons in the PDF will launch
the embedded files.   :-))

My procedure:
1. File > Import > Object
2. In the Insert Object dialog box:
      a) Create from File > Browse. Select XLS or PDF file.
      b) Tick Display As Icon.
      c) Click OK.
          Massive icon appears in anchored frame. Scaling icon to 75% or
100% makes it a useable size.
3. Print FM file to PDF, or Save As PDF. (Both methods produce dead icons.)

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mark Lehmann