Save FrameMaker 10 files to be read in Word

Andy Smith (WFL) andy.smith at wingedfeet.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 07:23:28 PDT 2012

I've been told in the past that it's possible to export a FrameMaker file or
book as a Word file. My client isn't very comfortable doing mark-ups on the
PDFs I've been supplying him and he would rather work on a Word file so that
he can edit the text and I can copy the edits back into Frame. I would
rather he worked in PDF but he's the client so I have go with his request if
possible.

I've looked at the Save As options but I can't see anything there that will
allow me to save as Word. I've tried saving as XML and then opening in Word
and I just get a tag or structure view so that doesn't seem to work.
(Unfortunately I don't have anything more recent than Office 2003. The later
version is on my shopping list but times is hard at the moment.)

I need a solution that is easy for my client. I'm sure there are XML viewers
and all sorts of things out there but I need a solution that my client is
likely to have already. Any ideas?

I'm using FrameMaker 10 on Windows 7 pro, 64 bit.

Andy W. Smith