Creating cross-document links (external cross references) in FM that are fully functional in PDF output

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Apr 19 00:43:53 PDT 2012

Jody,

You wrote:

>I am hoping to create cross-document links (external cross references)
>in FM that are fully functional when we run our PDFs.
>
>Standard cross references don't meet our needs because it is important
>for our links to be relative links rather than absolute links, so that
>we can move our PDFs from where they are creaated to the distribution
>folders. To create relative links that work in our PDF output, I
>create a hypertext link pointing to the PDF version of the manual I am
>referencing as follows (it is important to know the NAME of that PDF
>file ahead of time):
>  * Create a hypertext link where Command = Message Client.
>  * Use this syntax: message openfile ../<foldername>/<filename>

message openfile filename will only open the target PDF at the default
opening page, and cannot be adjusted to open a specific destination in the
PDF file.

To create cross-document links that open the target PDF at a specific
destination, cross-references or gotolink/newlink hypertext markers can be
used.
There is no difference between the two methods with respect to
absolute/relative path, but there are quite a few aspects you need to know
in advance and control accordingly-- target file name and path of the end
deliverables, book vs. chapter destination, output methods (and testing the
end-result is always recommended).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat Advanced Techniques *
FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

1-Hour Webinars (free; starting 10am PT)
* Better PDFs with FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers, April 19
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/742255574
* Liven Up Your PDFs with FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants, May 1
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/285654806