Disappearing Palettes

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Apr 23 12:31:33 PDT 2012

On 23/04/2012 3:04 PM, Karen Robbins wrote:
> Hello Framers,
>
> I use Frame 9 (9.0p255) in Windows 7 via Parallels 6 on a Mac. I keep
> many palettes on-screen in one or two floating blocks.
>
> This morning I opened an existing Frame document and all palettes were
> missing. Multiple attempts at opening a palette with a menu item (such
> as Format>Character>Designer) or key combo (such as CTRL+D) also failed.
>
> After several tries and restarts (both Windows and Frame), clicking
> through the menus did begin to reveal some of the palettes. I am not
> sure if all are directly accessible from menus.
>
> What might cause this to happen? Is the best way (only way?) to restore
> disappearing palettes simply to call all of them from menus again?
>
> thanks,
> Karen

Karen,

FM keeps track of your open palettes etc. in Workspace files with the
extension .fws or .cfws.  It sounds like something got fried in
whichever .cfws file you last used.

The best way to restore your palettes is to set up the interface the way
you like it and then save it as a custom workspace.  Then when things go
haywire (or you've just managed to move everything around for various
reasons), you can choose Reset from the workspace menu and everything
will be restored.  (Assuming the .cfws file is OK.)

(The .fws and .cfws files are in the WorkSpaces folder within fminit;
you may find more than one instance of the fminit folder; I'm not sure
how Parallels, Macs, etc. work this out.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator