Ventura encoded text files

Kenneth C. Benson kbenson at pegtype.com
Mon Apr 23 17:12:41 PDT 2012

The best way to deal with Ventura to Frame is to put RTF in the middle.
Do you have anything other than text files? Beginning with Ventura 7,
you would need a .VP file in which to load the text file (and from which
to export RTF). For earlier versions of Ventura, you would need (at
least) a .chp file and a .sty file.

Ventura 10 should be able to open your files, provided you have the
important pieces (.vp or .chp with .sty). Files from the oldest versions
will have some font substitution problems.

If I had only the coded text files I would bring them into Indesign, use
GREP to apply styles, export RTF, and bring the RTF into Frame.

BTW, the @REF and @BOOK are paragraph styles, and are easily assigned
directly in Frame (Find/Replace by pasting style from clipboard). The
character-level font changes are much harder. This particular sample
looks like complete nonsense. I understand the numbering, but why are
there sentence fragments?

Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type
www.pegtype.com