Problems comparing large books: due to memory issues--or what?

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Aug 20 15:08:03 PDT 2012

You could also use a text editor to compare the MIF files. That'd get text changes, including changes in tables.

Cheers
Rebecca

On 20/08/2012 2:36 PM, Fausset, Marilyn wrote:
> I have been comparing several FM books (specs bound for ISO) that are
> large with lots of docs that contain many referenced Visio's and text
> insets. I have converted the text insets (MIFs full of tables) to text
> so table entries will compare. But the compare function is not
> consistently working. I either get a FM crash, an incomplete number of
> CMP files (missing CMP files when I know the file changed), or just
> plain incorrect CMP files (CMP file just mimics previous version). I do
> not need the Visio's to compare, but I do need table text to compare
> (show what's deleted/added).
>
> I am looking to memory as a cause, ...

Marilyn,

Since you don't need to compare the Visio's (which I assume are treated
as graphics), you could try turning off display of graphics in both
files (View > Options > Show Graphics [I think -- going by memory, but
the shortcut is Alt+V, o, Alt+I]) before trying the compare.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

http://www.phoenix-geophysics.com

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.