chapnum appears twice in PDF bookmarks

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Aug 21 10:40:21 PDT 2012

I had to duplicate an existing page layout with the chapter number
above the title. My goal was to make the paragraph tags compatible
with Word, Confluence 4 XHTML, and MindTouch XHTML for cleaner export.

Autonumber for the chapter title paragraph tag (in my template,
Heading1) increments the chapter counter but does not display the
number: C:<n+>

On the chapter-first master page, create a separate text frame for the
chapter number, not connected to any flow.

Put a Running H/F # variable in that text frame with definition:
<$paranumonly[Heading1]>

TOC reference page definition: Chapter <$paranum>: <$paratext> \t <$pagenum>

On the chapter-first master page, I also have a separate text frame
for the chapter title, connected to the main flow, since that was in
the existing page layout, but I don't think that's necessary.

I don't break chapters into separate .fm files, so I have to use Apply
Master Pages when updating the book. If you split chapters into
separate files, that might not be necessary.