OT - Using a Defect Tracking System to Create a Glossary

Roopa Belur rbelur at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 19:19:03 PDT 2012

Thanks, David, for your response. I should have furnished more details, sorry about that.

The localization team in our company does use a legacy in-house system to add, review and edit terms and definitions to the "localized" glossary. This process has proved to be efficient and self-sufficient, however, it requires a considerable amount of developmental effort to replicate the same process and workflow for our (documentation) project. Our intent is to create a global file of terms and definitions and provide a read access to the others teams in the company.

 We have evaluated Wiki and Confluence as well, and it does not appear to fulfill our needs. We are talking at least 3000 to 4000 terms and definitions here.

Siebel was suggested to us, and I was wondering if anyone has used a defect tracking tool for glossary purposes before. Siebel is primarily a CRM tool, so am trying to understand better how we could use it to build a database of glossary terms and definitions.

Rgds,
Roopa

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

--H.H. the Dalai Lama