FrameMaker 11 Review

Keith Soltys keith.soltys at tmx.com
Wed Aug 29 11:43:26 PDT 2012

Good review Alan. It's the first one I've seen that seems like the reviewer actually used the program instead of just repeated a list of new features from Adobe's Reviewer's Guide.

I'll be holding off on this one, I think. I don't use structured Frame, and most of the improvements seem to be on that side. The object styles are a genuine improvement, but I don't use enough graphics in my documents to make it worthwhile upgrading just for that.

I am disappointed that they couldn't clean up some of the longstanding issues with the interface. For example, let us increase the font size in marker dialog box entry fields. Or provide alternatives to the standard marker text symbol - expandable markers in place like IXgen has, for example. Or an outliner in unstructured mode - Word has had this forever. Make the Authoring view work in unstructured mode - Word has that too.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Later
Keith