Numbering for book file grayed out for Subsection

Charles Richardson cer at matrixpress.com
Wed Aug 29 14:14:01 PDT 2012

FM10.0.2.419

W7 64bit

I want to set up the files in a single-level book to use alpha for
subsection level numbering.  According to the Help files, it should be
possible to set, from the book file, Numbering Properties for Section and
Sub-section but these are grayed out, both showing a default setting of 1
and Numeric.  How can I access these settings so I can use an alphabetic
subsection series?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Charles