greenfield and new structure

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Sat Dec 1 15:22:08 PST 2012

John...

The mapping from elements and their context happens in the structure
application's template (which contains an EDD). The EDD contains element
definitions, which in turn contain context rules. The context rules
specify the formatting (paragraph and character styles, or other
specified properties). FrameMaker and DITA-FMx provide default structure
applications that you can use as the basis for building your own
customized apps. Rather than just jumping in and modifying the default
apps, I highly recommend "cloning" them to create your own apps. This is
a bit more effort, but in the long run is the best way to go. While
customizing the apps, you will break something (we all do), and it's
very important to have the original apps readily available for testing
and comparison. Here's some information about cloning the default
DITA-FMx apps (a similar process can be used to clone the default
FM-DITA apps) ..

http://docs.leximation.com/dita-fmx/1.1/?ditafmx_cloningtapps.html

When you create a FM book from a DITA map using default FM-DITA, you
save your ditamap as a "book with FM components". The chapter files are
formatted with the current DITA structure application template (and
underlying EDD). You can either use a customized app to get different
formatting or you can import alternate templates into the files after
the book has been created.

If you're using DITA-FMx, use the "Generate Book from Map" command. This
performs various book-build operations (as defined in the Book Build
Settings dialog). If you set up a book-build INI file, you can define
the pagination and numbering properties of the chapter files as well as
the properties of any generated lists you include in your bookmap. This
INI file also lets you specify additional (unstructured) files to
include in the generated book (like a title page or other files). As
well .. if you have metadata in you map (like copyright or version
information), you can specify that those values be imported into the
generated and included files as FM variables. This video provides an
overview of this process ..

http://blog.leximation.com/2010/03/pdf-publishing-with-dita-fmx-1-1/

Note that DITA-FMx 1.1 does not support DITA 1.2. When DITA-FMx 2.0 is
available, that will support DITA 1.2. If you're using FM11, be sure to
start with the DITA 1.1 apps or the default DITA-FMx apps as the basis
for your customized apps.

When publishing to HTML-based output, it really depends on what tool you
use, but the mapping would happen in that tool. DITA-FMx provides a
direct integration with DITA2Go and the DITA-OT. If you have TCS and
want to use RoboHelp, your best bet is to generate a book from the map,
then import that book into RoboHelp (don't try the direct ditamap import
into RH). (I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with the
ditamap to RH import!)

Cheers,

...scott