greenfield and new structure

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 02:02:37 PST 2012

Hi John

Nadine has already given you a good description of how to proceed. This is
how you could generate a FrameMaker book from a ditamap with DITA-FMx:

1. Create your DITA topics.
2. Create a bookmap, in which each chapter is a ditamap. The bookmap also
contains <bookmeta>, which contains information which will be converted to
Fm variables.
3. Create a ditaval file, for example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<val>
    <prop att="platform" val="pdf" action="exclude" />
    <prop att="platform" val="help" action="include" />
    <prop att="platform" val="chm" action="exclude" />
    <prop att="platform" val="mac" action="include" />
    <prop att="product" val="productA" action="include" />
    <prop att="product" val="productB" action="exclude" />
    <prop att="audience" val="novice_user" action="include" />
    <prop att="audience" val="expert" action="exclude" />
    <prop att="otherprops" val="snow" action="exclude" />
    <prop img="_graphics/warning.png" alt="Warning!" att="rev" val="2.0"
action="flag" />
</val>

4. Check the following folders:

   - C:\Program
   Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\Structure\xml\DITA-FMx_1.1\Book\component-templates.
   Here, you will find DITA-FMx "component templates", which you can use to
   generate the Fm book from the bookmap.
   - C:\Program Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\DITA-FMx. Here, you will find
   the ditafmx-bookbuild.ini file.

5. Copy the "component-templates" folder and the ditafmx-bookbuild.ini file
to a new "output" folder, for example a subfolder of your "project folder",
i.e. the folder in which you have your DITA files, for example:

"my_project_folder" > "output" > ditafmx-bookbuild.ini >
"component-templates"

6. Open the ditafmx-bookbuild.ini file and check the "BookTemplatesDir=".
This refers to the folder where the "component templates" are.

7. Choose DITA-FMx > Generate Book From Map.

8. Select the bookmap and specify the output folder and enter a name for
your Fm book.

<stepresult>DITA-FMx will generate an Fm book, using the component
templates.

Now that you have an Fm book with some contents, you can customize it. This
is how I do it:

1. Open my "legacy" unstructured Fm files.

2. Import the formats from my "legacy" unstructured Fm files into my
generated Fm book.

3. Customize the formatting of the styles in the generated Fm files. The
"Global Update Options" in the Paragraph and Character Designers can help
here.

TIP: Do not rename the formats which come from the component templates, for
example title.0, title.1, step.continue etc. because these are also used in
the EDD, for example:

Element (Container): cmd > If context is: step < steps, use paragraph
format: step.continue.

4. Import the formats from the generated Fm files into the component
templates.

TIP: I usually put my component templates in an Fm book, which makes it a
bit easier to import formats.

This video also gives you an idea of how the process goes:

http://goo.gl/xGTpD

Kind regards

Yves Barbion
www.scripto.nu