Running FrameMaker on Mac workstations

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 05:25:11 PST 2012

> From: Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com
>
> Please help dispel my ignorance or refresh my memory.  I use FrameMaker on a "PC," but I've read that some die-hard users of FrameMaker who have Mac workstations are still using it.  So, as they might say in the City of New York, "Not for nothin', but . . ." please answer a few questions.
>
>   1.  What was the last version of FrameMaker for the Mac that was released, and when was it released?
>
>   2.  If FrameMaker is still running on Mac workstations, how is that done?
>
>   3.  For FrameMaker still running on Mac workstations, what is the latest version and when was it released?

>From the Wikipedia article on FrameMaker:
Today, Adobe FrameMaker is still a widely-used publication tool for technical writers, although no version has been released for the Mac OS X operating system, limiting use of the product (FrameMaker up to version 7.0 ran under Mac OS 9, and is usable under Mac OS X, through version 10.4.11 "Tiger", on PowerPC-based Macs in the Classic emulation environment, but there is no Mac OS X native version of FrameMaker). Note that latest versions of Mac OS X, v10.5 "Leopard" and newer, eliminated Classic support, even for PowerPC-based Macs. Therefore, if running Mac OS X 10.5.x, it is now impossible to run any Mac version of FrameMaker using Apple-supplied software.