managing feedback on work in progress from multiple SMEs

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Dec 11 15:15:09 PST 2012

I'm working in an agile shop where the developers are mostly on Linux
or treating Macs as Linux boxes. Source is in FM10.

It would be nice to be able to do the doc task for each user story
when the developers finish with it, but I've had problems with people
not getting their comments back to me quickly, and ending up with
having to piece comments together from various drafts. In some cases I
got conflicting comments on the same stuff. No big deal to sort out
but a big waste of scarce time.

Sending out PDFs of only the pages with changes a particular person
made avoids most of those problems, but it's a lot of extra work.

Acrobat shared review is problematic since I'm continuously updating
the FrameMaker source, though at least there would be only one draft
in circulation at any one time.

I could wait until all of a sprint's updates for a particular document
are done before sending it out for review, but that might lead to a
serious crunch.

Has anyone come up with better technique for managing this sort of workflow?