Madcap Flare vs Framemaker

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:21:56 PST 2012

Well, you say you have FM experience already, and that you do only a little
bit of help authoring. But, you'd need the Adobe Technical Communication
suite to get an interconnected seat of both FM and RH for any
single-sourced help authoring. On the flip side, Flare will give you
everything you need, but you don't have experience using it. Further, for
less than the cost of a 2nd Madcap product you can get the entire MapPak,
which will give you pretty much anything and everything you'd ever need to
use in a small authoring environment. But you'd have to learn the software.

So I guess it comes down to this: Spend money for familiarity and the
ability to do what you need done today, or spend time learning (and some
money) for something new that may satisfy your needs for quite some time.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:42 AM, <laura at lavadome.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are a small tech pubs department (2 of us) who currently use Word for
> our documentation. We mainly publish to PDF, but use RoboHelp for a very
> small help system. Ideally we’d like to use single-sourcing as much as
> possible moving forward, and add more online help to our documentation
> suite.
>
> We are looking to move away from Word to a tool better suited for
> technical publications. At the moment we are considering MadCap Flare or
> Adobe FrameMaker.
> We’ve done a general search for pros and cons of both (we have used Frame
> extensively in the past), and have installed the latest versions of both.
> We are interested in hearing if any other writers have experiences that
> might help us make the right choice!
>
> If anyone has used Flare and gone back to Frame, or has any other insights
> that might help us, please do get in touch.
>
> Many thanks
> Laura

Bill Swallow
Writing and Content Strategy Consultant