Is FrameMaker 11 going down or is it a keeper?

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 03:30:15 PST 2012

FrameMaker 11 has reached a level to convince me to use it...  Since the switch to the new GUI, I had stuck steadfastly to Maker 8, but Maker 11 includes new structure/XML support that is quite worthwhile, and the GUI seems to have improved.  It's enough to convince me to go with 11, and abandon 8.  I have even turned off my automatic-save-as-MIF plugin that I kept going as an escape route back to Maker 8.

I have also dug into ExtendScript, and find it pretty handy.  For major projects I still think the FDK is the way to go.  But for quickies and one-off tools to solve a specific problem, it fills the bill nicely.  I would recommend that anybody who wants to claim above-average proficiency get a handle on this tool.  Yes, the docs could be greatly improved.  Product development always has tradeoffs.

What I would like to see more of is to make the GUI more stable...  It flashes around, and depending on what I do it opens or removes various pods when I don't want it to.  I would also like the behavior to be more like an IDE or other project management front end, rather than semi ad-hoc work views that I have to rearrange every time I start a session...  Specific example -- the script catalog is kind of flaky.  I also would welcome better FDK (and ExtendScript) control of windows per document.

I believe the product is more stable, and the team is taking the docs more seriously.  Actually, I look forward to continued improvements, as Adobe seems to stress automation, XML, and structured work flows.

cud