FrameMake 9 unresponsive (Karen Mann)

Cathy Giddens C.Giddens at rawlinsons.co.nz
Wed Feb 1 13:07:05 PST 2012

Karen, I was having similar problems with my FM9, also Windows 7 Pro, less than 12 month old Dell 64bit machine, 8G RAM, and good graphics card for dual monitors. I was also running Patternstream as a plugin to FM9. The problem was that FM9 kept freezing and hanging, and other times would be completely fine.

The cause turned out to be down to two things, and I'm still not sure which was the main cause:  Firstly, as I work remotely, sometimes I have an active VPN connection to the office, this was apparently sending out a different IP address to that given out when the VPN connection wasn't running. The two different IP addresses were causing conflicts, with all the licencing pings that happen these days.  Secondly, the hard drive was dying, unbeknownst to me, and of course, it became terminal two days before my printing deadline.

Reconfigured VPN that doesn't have internet access and new HP machine have solved all my FM freezes. Plus upgrading to FM10 (this happened later, FM9 was stable on the new setup).

I'm not sure if any of this will apply to your situation, but thought it was worth putting out there about the IP address conflicts, it wasn't something I'd considered when looking for causes of freezing on these lists and elsewhere, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else either. It was only afterwards that I worked out that FM had been fine when the VPN was off, and played up when it was running - when the different IP was being broadcast.

Regards
Cathy Giddens, FNZIQS, Reg QS  |  Managing Editor

Rawlinsons Media Limited
Publisher of Rawlinsons New Zealand Construction Handbook
Level 4, 135 Broadway, Newmarket, PO Box 9804, Newmarket, Auckland 1149
NEW ZEALAND

t:   +64 (0)9 522 4780  |  f:  + 64 (0)9 524 4977  |  m:  + 64 (0)21 354 265
e:  c.giddens at rawlinsons.co.nz  |  w: www.rawlinsons.co.nz

This communication and/or attachment(s) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). If you read this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or reproduction of this message, except as intended, is prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and remove all copies of the message, including any attachment(s).   Any views or opinions expressed in this communication (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Rawlinsons Media Limited.

Message: 3