Wordcount at Book level rather than FIle level

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Thu Feb 2 05:25:21 PST 2012

Hi Rod,

Do you have any ideas how you would want to implement this in your book? For
example, would you want a FrameMaker variable that would contain the current
word count? This may be the best way to go because it would give you the
flexibility to use the word count anywhere you need it. I could write an
ExtendScript script that would do essentially do work like this:

1) You would run a command called "Update Word Count". You could run it on
the active book or active document. If you ran it on a book, it would count
all of the words in the book; if you ran it on a document, it would count
all the words in the current document.

2) The script would use a regular expression to count all of the words in
the document. The count would put into a "WordCount" variable in the each of
the book's components. Of course, you wouldn't have to use the variable in
all (or any) of the components; you would only insert the "WordCount"
variable where you need it.

I could write a script like this for you for $240. It would be written with
ExtendScript and the script would be fully commented. This will also serve
as a learning tool and give you a head start on writing your own scripts. I
am not able to write it for free because I of other scripting jobs that I
have. If you decide to try it yourself, there is a FrameMaker ExtendScript
forum on the Adobe Forums site. See

http://forums.adobe.com/community/framemaker/extendscript

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thank you very
much.

Rick

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.