Footnote counters within multi chapter documents not being respected?

Wed Feb 8 23:21:57 PST 2012

Rob Shell wrote:

> However, I now cannot get FM to set each chapter's footnotes to start
> at 1.
> Thus each chapter would have its own flight of footnotes.
> I am using the document numbering dialogue box
> And "setting" the footnote number to one. However, no luck. FM accepts
> the
> call, but does nothing with it,

Be sure you set numbering at the book level, not the file level. In the book window, select all the chapters, right-click, and select Numbering. On the Footnote tab of the Numbering Properties dialog, select First Footnote #, set it to 1, and set Format to Numeric (14). Click Set. Then, be sure to update the book.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.