Cross-reference oddity in FM 9

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 10:34:36 PST 2012

Schlomo,

I'm sorry, yes, I did miss that the angle had to be part of the font family name (mea culpa),  so I
wasn't getting the fix right.

You wrote:

> Rebecca's clarification is correct -- you need a font where the italic
> variation is part of the font identity/name itself (i.e. Italic/Oblique
> appears in the Family field in the Character Designer).

Schlomo, I'm sorry, I hope you can be patient as I am truly trying to follow your lead. I'm attaching an updated Sample.FM.  I created a new char tag for this situation called Italic Single, using the font family Eras Medium ITC, since that's the most similar obliqued font family to Arial Narrow (Italic) that  I have
installed on this PC. (I don't have Univers fonts, and all the other obliqued or italic fonts that show in Windows > Fonts show as the standard family name in FM so that it would require italic as an angle setting within the Character Designer.) Doing this does work as you described, but the regular angle of Eras Medium ITC isn't quite enough of an angle to be distinguishable when applied to an "i" beside R900.

However, since Swis721 Cn BT font family is more similar to Arial Narrow and also isn't used elsewhere, I could edit the maker.ini as you mentioned without causing difficult-to-manage ripple-effects.
Previously you said:
> If you don't have such a similar font in your current font list, you can
> instruct FrameMaker to treat the Italic variation of Arial Narrow as a
> distinct font name through the maker.ini file (but then Italic will not be
> displayed as an available angle for Arial Narrow in the Character or
> Paragraph Designer, you will have to choose a different font -- Arial
> Narrow Italic -- to get the Italic).

Would this be the correct change to make in the maker.ini?
Under [WindowsToFrameFontAliases]
Swis721 Cn BT, Italic, *=Swis721 Cn BT, Oblique, *, Regular

> Notice that in the context of generated files, <$paratext> retains all
> character formatting if they are the result of a character tag (untagged
> font properties are not retained) -- so your Product Name variable will be
> displayed properly in the TOC without any change to its current definition.

I had noticed that, which is why I figured I must have done something wrong in my cross-reference definition. I didn't understand what looked to me like inconsistency in treatment of the same building block.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Rene