Cross-reference oddity in FM 9

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Feb 21 02:31:31 PST 2012

Rene,

You wrote:

>Schlomo, I think I'm missing something or doing it wrong. I'm
>attaching an updated Sample.FM.  I changed the font family for Italic
>char tag to HelveticaNeueLT Std Cn, since that's the most similar font
>to Arial Narrow that  I have installed on this PC. It shows fine in
>the variable definition, but when the variable is used in the heading,
>and then the heading text is xref'd via <$paratext>, it is still not
>picking up the angle. I don't understand why it works for you, but I'm
>not getting the desired result. Is it a bug in my FM file or
>something?

Rebecca's clarification is correct -- you need a font where the italic
variation is part of the font identity/name itself (i.e. Italic/Oblique
appears in the Family field in the Character Designer).

If you don't currently have such a font in your font list, it is possible
to define one of the existing fonts like that through maker.ini.

>{Aside: It seems to me that either Adobe might want to consider adding
>another building block that does include the character formats applied
>to text for cross-references, so that writers have the choice of which
>standard to follow; or perhaps this is a limitation that doesn't exist
>in FM 10?}

The behavior you see, as well as the workaround, apply to all versions of
FrameMaker (including FM10).

Notice that in the context of generated files, <$paratext> retains all
character formatting if they are the result of a character tag (untagged
font properties are not retained) -- so your Product Name variable will be
displayed properly in the TOC without any change to its current definition.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

1-hr free webinar: "The Power of PDF Bookmarks & Automating with FrameMaker"
Feb 21, starting 10am PST: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/183659694