Phantom character format override in FrameMaker 10

Wed Feb 22 07:29:40 PST 2012

Joseph Lorenzini wrote:

> I am using the "Find Character Format Override" option in the find
> dialog box. I am constantly getting a hit on the paragraph where a text
> inset is inserted. If the paragraph is "Body", then it does not find an
> override. If however the paragraph format is anchor, then it does find
> an override. I am at a loss as to why one paragraph format causes a
> "character format override" to be found while the other does not. I
> have verified that the text inset does NOT contain a character format
> override.

Just noticed this query. FM has a long-standing bug where, if a text inset sits adjacent to the pilcrow (end of pgf mark) in the pgf into which it was inserted, the pgf containing the text inset takes on the formatting of the first pgf in the text inset. My guess is that what you're seeing is related. That's based on my other guess, that the text inset source begins with a Body pgf, so the issue doesn't manifest if it's inserted into a Body pgf.

For the pgf-reformatting problem, the long-standing workaround was to put something between the text inset and the end of its container pgf. I always used a non-breaking space so it would be easy to see/find/verify, but anything will do. Try that, update all the text insets, and see if it takes care of the problem.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom