Unavailable fonts and greyed out section numbering tab

Thu Feb 23 19:38:04 PST 2012

Andy Smith (WFL) wrote:

> I'm using Frame 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. The printer is a Brother HL1450
> or an HP CM1415fnw.

I suggest you take Steve's advice and make Adobe PDF, not some physical printer, the printer for FM. I recommend using the SetPrint plugin (sundorne.com) to set the default in FM to Adobe PDF.

<snip>
> I've just realised that the console is reporting the following:
>
> The "ƒqƒ‰ƒMƒmŠpƒS Pro W3" Font is not available.
>   "MS Mincho" will be used in this session.
<snip>

> After a bit of confusion I've run that character format Find routine
> and it allows me to search for all the fonts on my PC with the
> offending font at the bottom of the list. Searching for that font it
> runs the Find and reports that it's not found in the document.
>
> Any ideas?

Fonts can hide in many places. Find doesn't check master or reference pages unless you run it again from them. Also, a table format can use a font in its default pgfs, but if there are no tables that use the format, there will be no instance of the font (or the pgf that uses it) in the document. There are probably other possibilities that don't occur to me right now.

But the solution, once you're sure you don't need that font and/or you can live with FM's temporary substitution, is simple: make the substitution permanent.

1) Close the chapter file with the problem.
2) Go to File > Preferences > General.
3) In the Preferences dialog, turn off Remember Missing Font Names and click Set.
4) Open the chapter file with the problem, and when prompted to permanently replace the missing font, agree.
5) Save the file.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer