Keyword extraction tool

Thu Feb 23 19:48:29 PST 2012

Linda Burn wrote:

> I’m looking for a tool that I can run on my FrameMaker 9 source files
> that will extract frequently used terms (to help with indexing,
> glossary, terminology consistency).
>
> I’ve found some Web-based tools and AntConc (seems to work on .txt
> files best) but nothing that I can use on my .fm source files.
>
> Does FrameMaker have any internal tools that can do the job? Or is
> anyone using an external tool? (hopefully something open source ☺).

There are several FM plugins that can help. I strongly recommend IXGen. It greatly simplifies indexing and can be very useful for related tasks such as you're contemplating. It's not free or OSS, but it will pay for itself in the time you save indexing your first book. Check out its features and functions at fsatools.com.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom