Non-responsive paragraph formats in FM9

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 16:51:32 PST 2012

Hi All,

I have recently inherited a new library of FM docs. All of the docs were leveraged out of legacy FM files, meaning that many of the original projects were created way back in FM 5 and just got updated to whatever the current FM version was at the time that the product line changes necessitated a doc update. I am attempting to establish some basic unstructured FM discipline and create some templates along the way, so that I can move toward some basic unstructured single-sourcing (as a first step toward a goal of XML/DITA). Most of this is just the typical clean-up stuff, but there are two paragraph format issues that have me stumped:

1.    Table footnotes: Is there some FM bug that is triggered by using a format name other than "TableFootnote" for the paragraph format for table footnotes?  The files have two paragraph formats for table footnotes: "tbl footnote" and "TableFootnote" — with "TableFootnote" being the paragraph format listed in the Footnote Properties window for Table Footnotes. If I change that setting to point to "tbl footnote" the footnotes jump to superscript position, even though the Footnote Properties for Table Footnotes is still set to baseline position. Even if I delete the "tbl footnote" paragraph format, save the file, then rename "TableFootnote" as "tbl footnote" to create a new paragraph format for "tbl footnote" it still has the same problem. The footnotes below the tables only show the correct baseline position when "TableFootnote" is the paragraph format.

2.    Widow/orphan controls: In the generated files (TOC, LOT, LOF, IX/IOM, etc.) in my books I am finding that the *TOC, *LOT, *LOF, *IX, *IOM, etc., paragraph format settings for widow/orphan of 2 lines or 3 lines aren't working. Is it because FM ignores this setting for active paragraph formats used in generated files? Should I just do some crude manipulations via keep with previous/next? Am I missing some setting? Or is this why the TOC Breaker plugin was developed...? I'm attaching sample files of these as well.

I do have FrameScript (v5, I think?), Rick Quatro's TableCleaner plugin and several of his scripts including FindChangeFormatsBatch, Systec's Toolbox (free version), some of the CudSpan doc Tools, many of Silicon Prairie's Tools, [itl] scripts, several of Bruce Foster's and Karsten Natebus's plugins... These tools make FM so much more usable! So, if there is something that could leverage any of these tools (or some other plugin, just name it) to solve these riddles, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rene L. Stephenson
eNovative Solutions Email: rinnie1 at yahoo.com