Fixed copy paste as text into FrameMaker 9

Michael Pearson michael.t.pearson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 10:03:30 PST 2012

Hi Brian,

If you paste as "Text" you get ASCII encoding; pasting as "Unicode Text"
gives you unicode encoding. Try pasting the following characters (from the
unicode range 2190 to 2265 -- well above 00FF, where the ASCII range ends)
as "Text" into an FM9/10 document (using Paste Special, for example). The
result will be a string of question marks, because those characters don't
exist in the ASCII range. Pasting as Unicode Text, however, gives you the
proper encoding and the appropriate characters (assuming you're using a
font like Arial that actually contains those glyphs).

For this reason, pasting as Unicode Text will almost always provide better
results than pasting as Text.

HTH,
Mike