PNG usage (was re: Recommended single-sourcing graphic file format for FM->RH)

Mon Jan 16 19:54:19 PST 2012

Grant Hogarth wrote:

> (And yes, I agree that FM needs to improve it's handling of PNG
> colors.  FM10 seems to have eliminated most of that problem (in that
> I've not noticed it in FM 10), but I've also not pushed the limits.  (I
> also save in indexed PNG, which may have something to do with it.)

Actually, as I pointed out earlier, it's indexed (256-color palletized) PNGs that cause RGB color definitions to be added to FM. As John Hogan pointed out, most PNGs are 24-bit (millions of colors) these days, which doesn't cause the problem and is not that much bigger, file-size-wise.

Since PNG is lossless, free of artifacts, and even (according to Wikipedia) renders gradients more accurately than JPEG, I can't imagine why anyone would use the latter for screenshots.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom