Copying large data sets into tables

Mon Jan 30 13:35:36 PST 2012

Andy Smith (WFL) wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is a quick way of copying large sets of
> table data from a Word doc into a FrameMaker 10 table?

You can't copy _into_ an existing FM table -- the underlying structures are just too dissimilar.

Bring it into FM in one of the ways suggested by Rick, Nadine, and Tammy. Once it's a nice, clean FM table, then you can copy/paste the rows into your existing FM table.

Nadine's solution is OK if you only need to do this once or twice. But I'll second Tammy's endorsement of Rick's TableCleaner plugin. It's invaluable for cleaning up Word tables, and mighty useful for various global changes on native FM tables, too.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom