Text reflows when converting to PDF

Mon Jul 2 12:23:36 PDT 2012

De Rosier, Edward wrote:

>When you print from FrameMaker using the Adobe PDF printer, click
>the printer Setup button and then the Adobe PDF (printer) Properties
>button.  In the "Adobe PDF Document Properties" dialog box, under
>the "Adobe PDF Settings" tab, a check box is available and states:
>Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts.
>
>I am using FrameMaker 9 and Acrobat 9 Pro.  Each time I start
>FrameMaker for the day, I must uncheck that box the first time that
>I print to PostScript.  For the rest of the day, FrameMaker and
>Adobe PDF printer "remember" my choice.  In other applications
>(printing from Windows Outlook, for example), I need to uncheck that
>box every time I print with Adobe PDF printer.

Karen Robbins replied:

> This may have been it! I had unchecked that system/document font box,
> but never expected that I would have to keep doing it. We'll have to
> see if it lasts the day or requires constant re-unchecking. The
> latest PDF looks exactly like the earlier print version and current
> screen view.

There are two places (at least!) where that option can be set:

-- The Adobe PDF Document Properties dialog (where you guys changed it via File > Print Setup in FM). I believe that setting persists only during the current FM session.

-- The Adobe PDF Printing Preferences dialog. This is the place where you make that setting the default so that it persists (so long as the setting in Document Properties doesn't override it).

To change the latter:

1) Go to Start > Devices and Printers (Win 7) or Start > Printers and Faxes (Win XP).
2) Right-click Adobe PDF and select Printing Preferences.
3) On the Adobe PDF Settings tab of the Printing Preferences dialog, turn off Rely on system fonts only and click OK.

Note: There have been a couple of times in the last six or so months when this option was mysteriously turned back on in the Printing Preferences dialog. I suspect the cause was an Acrobat update.

> I have also changed my Windows default printer to Adobe PDF; it
> remains to be seen what happens when I need to use a physical printer.

Well, you'll have to select a different printer (which means, in most apps, you have to go to File > Print instead of clicking a toolbar button).

A better alternative, IMHO, is to install Sundorne's free SetPrint plugin (http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm). It automatically makes Adobe PDF your printer in FM without requiring you to change your system default printer. Highly recommended -- and the price is right. :-)

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.