Text reflows when converting to PDF

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Jul 3 08:08:41 PDT 2012

On 02/07/2012 3:23 PM, Combs, Richard wrote:

> There are two places (at least!) where that option can be set:

"At least" is right!

> -- The Adobe PDF Document Properties dialog (where you guys changed
> it via File > Print Setup in FM). I believe that setting persists
> only during the current FM session.
>
> -- The Adobe PDF Printing Preferences dialog. This is the place where
> you make that setting the default so that it persists (so long as the
> setting in Document Properties doesn't override it).
>
> To change the latter:
>
> 1) Go to Start > Devices and Printers (Win 7) or Start > Printers and
> Faxes (Win XP). 2) Right-click Adobe PDF and select Printing
> Preferences. 3) On the Adobe PDF Settings tab of the Printing
> Preferences dialog, turn off Rely on system fonts only and click OK.

Two more places to (if necessary) clear that checkbox:
In step 2 above, right-click and select Printer Properties > General tab
 > Preferences; then also click the Advanced tab > Printing Defaults.

> A better alternative, IMHO, is to install Sundorne's free SetPrint
> plugin (http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm). It
> automatically makes Adobe PDF your printer in FM without requiring
> you to change your system default printer. Highly recommended -- and
> the price is right. :-)

I second this recommendation, and also that of another poster who
advised printing everything to PDF first, then printing the PDF to your
physical printer.  A lot of problems go away if you just follow that
practice.

Best regards,

--
Stuart Rogers