Xref to text inset (was RE: Searching the archive)

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 7 14:57:27 PDT 2012

Richard tip is really great, but....

The only advantage I see to using the original help method of having
FrameMaker insert one of its self-generated markers is that those markers
have three identifiers to make them reliably unique: A date/time generated
number, the current paratag name and the current contents of the paragraph
(with a limit on total characters, I believe).

This kind of lengthy Marker Target Id can be useful. There used to be a
problem with duplicate cross reference markers existing in files. When you
linked to either version of the duplicate maker you would get the correct
xref on linking, however when regenerating the file all references to the
two target reverted to the first xref marker target. Maddening! This is
fixed now, at least for FMs self-generated makers because if you copy and
paste a marker within a document, the duplicate marker is dropped in the
paste.

However, if you create a "meaningful marker name" in the Marker Text that
just happens to be a duplicate of one already existing in the document you
will find your xrefs going somewhere you didn't expect when you regenerate
or re-open you document.

For this reason I call the Marker Text for cross references their Marker
Target ID. Maybe Adobe should do the same since this is so critical to
getting the correct resolution of cross references.

As usual, the devil is in the details.

Craig