Formatting in EDD

Jang F.M. Graat jang at jang.nl
Tue Jul 10 02:02:30 PDT 2012

Kristy,

As I understand it, the signal words "Note, Caution, Warning" must be on the same line as the actual note text. That is a little tricky but doable. You need separate elements for the Note, Caution, Warning headers and the text that follows. Set text range formatting for both elements. If you add an attribute to the container element to choose the correct header this makes your editing a lot easier than having to handle three different elements. Using Prefix rules in the EDD, you can control the text of the headers. Don't forget to add the "\t" in the prefixes and set the first tab stop in the Note paragraph format far enough to the right so that the note text is separated from the header.

As the Note must have its type attribute set explicitly, I also use the EDD to clearly signal to the author when this has not been done, by adding an informative text and setting the text color to red.

I normally keep all my formats outside of the EDD - only applying ParagraphFormatTag and CharacterFormatTag but that does not change the outcome. Using direct formatting, format change lists in the EDD or assigning tags that can be changed in the Paragraph and Character Designers do not make any difference in what you try to do.

Here is a working example of the Note element including the required formatting:

Element (Container): Note
	General rule:	NoteHeader, NoteText
	Attribute list
		Name: type 	Choice 	Required
		Choices:	Information, Caution, Warning
	Text format rules
		In all contexts.
			Use paragraph format: Note

Element (Container): NoteHeader
	General rule:	<EMPTY>
	Prefix rules
		If context is: Note [ type = “Information” ]
			Prefix: Note\t
		Else, if context is: Note [ type = “Caution” ]
			Prefix: Caution\t
		Else, if context is: Note [ type = “Warning” ]
			Prefix: WARNING !\t
		Else
			Prefix: *** SET NOTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE ***
	Text format rules
		If context is: Note [ type = “Information” ]
			Text range.
		Else, if context is: Note [ type = “Caution” ]
			Text range.
			Font properties
				Underline: Single
		Else, if context is: Note [ type = “Warning” ]
			Text range.
			Font properties
				Underline: Double
		Else
			Text range.
			Font properties
				Color: Red

Element (Container): NoteText
	General rule:	<TEXT>
	Text format rules
		In all contexts.
			Text range.

Good luck with the work. If you need any further assistance, drop me an e-mail.

Jang

JANG Communication
Coaching - Copywriting - Consulting
Amsterdam - Netherlands