Single sourcing in the new TCS3

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Jul 24 07:55:10 PDT 2012

My source is 100% in FrameMaker 10, generate PDF user guide directly
and WebHelp with RoboHelp 9. The content is identical except the
online help does not have the title or copyright pages.

It's pretty painless, I accept almost all the defaults in RoboHelp,
only made a couple of minor tweaks to deal with some browser-specific
glitches. My guess is the more you do in RoboHelp, the more problems
you'll have.

My predecessors were using FrameMaker 9 and RoboHelp 8, outside of the
familiar FrameMaker nonsense about no openable nongenerated files I
had no problems with the switch to TCS 3.5.

On the other hand, I find RoboHelp generally inflexible, and might
switch to MIF2Go if we don't drop FrameMaker entirely and move to
MindTouch or Confluence. I already use MIF2Go to generate wiki XHTML
and Word (which is does much better than RoboHelp).