Create and Apply Formats tip

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Thu Jun 14 15:03:19 PDT 2012

I've been trying to get rid of all overrides in an inherited document.
I used Find > Character Format Override to clean up all the character
tag overrides.

I was going to do the same thing with Find > Paragraph Format
Overrides but it finds all the paragraphs falsely marked as overridden
due to a character tag being applied to the whole paragraph.

Create and Apply Formats cleans up those false positives. E.g.:

1. Do a book-level search for Paragraph Format Override finds *bullet1
f:Abold in file1.fm.

2. Create and Apply Formats to that file. Paragraph found by search is
now bullet1 f:Abold (no override asterisk). No new tags were created
on body pages, so for this file there's no cleanup needed.

3. Save and close file1.fm.

4. Do a book-level search for Paragraph Format Override. Search passes
file1.fm and goes on to the next override.

Would be nice if washing via MIF would clean up those false positives. Oh well.