JOB: Writer/Manager in Lexington, MA, USA

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Thu Jun 14 15:16:03 PDT 2012

We are hiring a writer/manager at Imprivata in Lexington, MA.
The job requires about 80% writing. All of our source content is in unstructured FM10. We output to PDF, HTML, RTF, and soon to the MindTouch knowledgebase. We use FM, Mif2Go, RoboHelp/TCS3, Acrobat and Creative Suite 5, SnagIt, etc.
We are an agile shop with six teams.
So far and for the last 10 years I have been the only writer here. We need someone who can write a lot, help to maintain a sophisticated infrastructure, go to meetings, and serve as a gatekeeper for incoming projects. As the team grows, you will manage the group while I stick to the more complex projects.
We have a good setup here, with plenty of good software, hardware, and good reviews. Pubs is well-respected here.
We are growing and I  am straining under the load. You will make a difference here.
Top things the hiring manager is looking for: management experience, ability to write a lot, "energy".
Feel free to contact me offlist with any questions.

john

Details:
Manager of Technical Publications

Position Profile:
This person is responsible for all technical product and services documentation at Imprivata. Our products provide companies a robust employee access management platform that offers strong authentication and password management solutions.  The successful candidate will be a writer-manager with experience as a lone writer and as a documentation manager. The Manager of Technical Publications will lead the small Imprivata documentation team (currently one senior-level writer). The Manager will spend a very significant amount of time writing. The position reports to the Engineering Director (Server Group). Imprivata engineering is a full agile development environment.

Position Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities center upon the publication and distribution of high quality technical documentation and managing all functions of the Technical Publications organization, including:
*         Writing content.
*         Coordinating all requests for technical documentation and developing Doc Plans .
*         Tracking documentation projects from Doc Plan to publication, distribution, and archival.
*         Communicating status to internal and external stakeholders.
*         Attending sprint planning sessions to contribute and to represent Technical Publications.
*       Structure editing, copy editing, and proofreading the team members' work (reciprocal.)
*         Working with the team on vision, tool/infrastructure selection.
*         On-going development of the employees of the team.

Technical Skills

*         General knowledge of hardware and software technologies related to Imprivata's products .

*         Ability to synthesize and communicate complex technical issues to non-technical audiences.

Business Skills

*         Good understanding of documentation and development processes in an agile environment.

*         Excellent interpersonal and project management skills.

*         Ability to manage high pressure situations and build trust among stakeholders.

*         Ability to guide stakeholders in development of new documentation products.

Experience / Education:

*         Bachelors Degree in English or Journalism, STC certification preferred.

*         Experience owning technical documentation at a fast-paced software company.

*         Experience working in a small team/single writer.

*         10+ years technology related writing experience.

*         2+ years of experience leading/managing technical writing personnel.

*         Experience with technical documentation technologies including.

o   Single-Sourcing from FrameMaker to PDF, HTML, RTF, ePUB, and print .

o   All stages of the documentation life cycle from planning to publication to archiving.

o   Information architecture.

o   Publication to WebCMS and crowdsourcing.

o   FrameScript experience a plus.